ASFC College A V Burnley FC SYT Match Report

The young Reds set the Sports Hub alight as they overwhelmed local rivals Burnley FC SYT, notching 10 goals in an outstanding performance.

Ed O’Neil’s side started as they meant to go on, with striker Jack Massey finding the top corner of the net from just inside the penalty area.

Both sides traded great attacking opportunities over the next 15 minutes as Burnley’s no.10 found himself one-on-one with Reds keeper Kalen Duckworth, but the Stanley stopper was out quickly to narrow the angle and force his opponent to skew his effort just wide.

Just a minute later, Stanley’s RJ Hudson passed up the opportunity to double his side’s lead, firing wide under pressure from a Burnley defender.

Then the goals started to flow more regularly than the River Nile, with Mitch Marshall letting fly from all of 30 yards out and despite the Clarets’ keeper getting a hand to the ball, it wasn’t enough to prevent it from finding the back of the net.

More celebration was just around the corner. Anticipation was high as the ball fell to the feet of Jack Massey and the forward made no mistake, sweeping his shot into the bottom corner.

It would be a performance which the masses should have witnessed as Massey found the time to fire in two more classily taken finishes before the interval. There was almost a cherry on top of the already sizable cake, as Massey went on a mazy run which included finding the time to cheekily play the ball through the legs of an opposition defender.

Massey looked like he was destined to score the goal of the afternoon, but his cultured shot found the outside of the post with Burnley’s goalkeeper stranded. That would be the final action of the first period as Stanley went into half-time with a 5-0 lead.

Burnley came out for the second half seemingly with a point to prove as they enjoyed the majority of the possession, threatening to create openings which the Stanley defence were a match to, desperate to keep hold of their clean sheet.

Soon, the Reds would reap the rewards of repelling their rivals as another flurry of goals came the way of the home side, starting with a calm close-range finish from Charlie Hulse, before Dom Mitton added his name to the scoresheet just two minutes later, taking the goal tally to a magnificent seven.

However, that wouldn’t be the end of the quickfire scoring as two more of the Stanley squad fancied getting in on the action. First, forward RJ Hudson sent a curled effort towards goal which after taking a deflection, nestled into the corner, with the Burnley keeper unable to believe his luck.

Only another five minutes passed before Jamie Sanderson decided to emulate his teammate Marshall by taking aim from range and finding the top corner, a culmination of four goals in nine minutes for the young Reds, taking the score up to 9-0.

A host of chances were traded over the next 25 minutes as Stanley shuffled their squad around, doing well to prevent a determined young Burnley side from grabbing a consolation goal.

As a reward for their sustained defensive work rate, the home side would add one last goal to take themselves into double figures as defender Deacon Haighton made an untracked run into the box, finishing superbly to round off an excellent afternoon for ASFC College.

In Wednesday’s other fixture ASFC College B succumbed to a 3-1 defeat away at Manchester City.